Cures of Snoring
Cures of snoring have got many options that will stop snoring.
Snorers are generally unaware of their snoring, and must rely on the observations of their bed-partners.
Some snorers may wake up at night choking and gasping for breath, but this occurs relatively infrequently.
He or she will take your history, perform a physical exam and will determine whether you require a consultation with a sleep specialist and a sleep test to determine if you have sleep apnea and to see how your snoring affects your sleep quality.
Depending on the results of the sleep study, you will be presented with a series of options for cures of snoring.
Snoring Cures will generally include,
- Lifestyle modification (i.e. avoidance of risk factors mentioned above, sleep position training if applicable, treatment of allergies if applicable, etc…)
- Appliances (mainly oral appliances constructed by a dentist experienced in cures of snoring and sleep apnea, but also other appliances such as nasal dilators), and sometimes
- CPAP (a continuous positive airway pressure appliance which blows room air into the back of the throat thus preventing it from collapse). The latter method is the treatment of choice for sleep apnea. If you are diagnosed with this condition, it is imperative that you pursue treatment aggressively; untreated sleep apnea will lead to daytime dysfunction and puts you at a higher risk for vascular disease.
- Surgical snoring cures (generally on the back of the throat and roof of the mouth, or the nose if applicable, using a variety of instruments including scalpel, laser, or microwaves)
If you occasionally snore, you can try the following behavior changes to help as cures of snoring:
- Avoid tranquilizers, sleeping pills, and antihistamines before you go to bed.
- Avoid alcohol, heavy meals, or snacks at least four hours before you sleep.
- Sleep on your side rather than on your back.
- Tilt the head of your bed up four inches.
- Lose weight and improve your eating habits.
- Establish regular sleeping patterns. For example, try to go to bed at the same time every night.
Your own doctor, or sleep specialist, will talk to you in detail about each of the above snoring cure approaches, their chances of success, possible complications, and costs. They will be able to advise you which of the above cures of snoring approaches is the correct one for you.