Apnea Care | Information on sleep apnea | Sleep Apnea Remedies | Sleep Apnea Prevention Methods
Sleep Apnea Care - Prevention Methods
Sleep apnea care methods may be most appropriate in dealing with obstructive sleep apnea and possibly central sleep apnea. Try these sleep apnea care methods:
- Eliminate use of alcohol and medications, such as tranquilizers and sleeping pills. These relax the muscles in the back of your throat, interfering with breathing.
- Keep your nasal passages open at night. Using a nasal decongestant or antihistamine may help
- Sleep on your side or stomach rather than on your back. Sleeping on your back can cause your tongue and soft palate to rest against the back of your throat and block your airway. To prevent sleeping on your back, try sewing a tennis ball in the back of your pajama top.
- Lose excess weight. Even a slight loss in excess weight may help relieve constriction of your throat.
- Quit smoking as nicotine in the tobacco makes your muscles relaxed and keep your airways open. If you don’t smoke, those muscles are less likely to collapse during sleep at night and your airways are not narrowed.