Anxiety disorders ranges from feelings of uneasiness to immobilizing bouts of terror.
Most people experience anxiety at some point in their lives and some nervousness in anticipation of a real situation.
Sleep is essential for good health as proper diet and regular exercise.
A good night sleep gives energy to the body, gives your active brain rest, and keeps you mentally in a better mood. Due to anxiety, many people are not able to fall asleep. You worry about the next day activities, and look at the clock while lying in the bed.
Anxiety sleep disorder:
Anxiety disorder can lead to sleep problems. Insomnia is the term for people who have trouble falling asleep, difficulty falling asleep or waking up too early in the morning. Insomnia can be short term or long term depending on the feeling of patient that sleep loss is a problem.
If a person is having anxiety disorder, insomnia can exacerbate these disorders. The causes of anxiety disorders are excessive stress, continuous worry, obsessive thoughts, nightmares and gastrointestinal problems.
Antidepressants prescribed for the treatment of anxiety disorder can cause sleep problems. Chronic sleep problems are associated with an increased risk of anxiety, depression and reduced quality of life. Sleep disorders such as restless leg syndrome, sleep apnea, and narcolepsy interfere with your sleep and contributes to anxiety sleep disorder.
Lack of sleep creates anxiety disorder or the disorder can cause insomnia. Inadequate sleep can cause tiredness. If you do not sleep for the required amount your body needs, it leads to poor job work, school work performance, poor health, increased risks and wrong judgment.
Anxiety disorder treatment:
Anxiety disorders can be treated with cognitive behavior therapy and medications. Cognitive behavior therapy helps you identify and challenge the negative and irrational beliefs that are holding you back from working through your fears. The therapy is conducted individually and groups of people with similar anxiety problems.
Various medications are used in anxiety disorders treatment. Medications include anti-anxiety drugs, beta-blockers and antidepressants.
- To control anxiety disorder, make sleep a priority for you and your family.
- Take seven to nine hours of time for uninterrupted sleep.
- Establish a regular bedtime of going to bed and getting up at the same time.
- You should not engage in stimulating activities right before going to sleep.
- Your bedroom should be quiet, calm and dark. Go to bed when you are sleepy.
- Do not watch television or work on computer before going to bed.
- Use bedroom only for sleep and sex
- After lying in bed, you should not think about problems and worries. Do not think about what to do next day.
- If you do not get sleep within half an hour, get out of bed and something relaxing.
- Drink two hours before sleep time.
- Do not exercise before going to bed. Exercise three to four hours before bedtime.
- Do not consume caffeine, alcohol, and chocolate in the evening and before going to bed.
- If you have any sleep problems, consult your doctor and discuss with him to control anxiety disorder.